Today we have a special guest post from Andrew Shepard, Global Director of Market – Engine and Industrial Filtration at Hollingsworth & Vose. Andrew will be interviewing our club members at the upcoming Product Management Mock Interview event along with 11 more esteemed interviewers! He brings a wealth of experience to the table. If you are attending our event (registration is now closed) or are planning to head to a job interview, take a look at his advice!
The foundations for good interviewing are generally not well understood by both the interviewer and the interviewee. Heading to your interview prepared for the typical 3-10 questions is like going to a driving range with a bad grip. Unless you have a coach who really knows the mechanics, you’ll just develop bad technique and always hook the ball. Interviews really are not about answering or asking questions – they are just a means to an end.
As a Global Director of Marketing and a former management consultant, I have actually stopped an interview cold, stepped out of my interview mode to tell the person how to interview, and then started the interview over from the beginning. As co-founder and past president of the Boston Product Management Association, helping professionals develop their job skills is part of my mission. Here are a few questions you have to know the answer to before you go to that big interview.
1) Like any good meeting there is always an agenda to an interview. What is your goal for a job interview? How do you measure if you did well?
2) What are the 3 things that you, personally, want to get across in your interview?
3) Do you understand what the 3 high-level questions every interviewer is trying to answer – even if he/she does not have it clear in his/her own mind?
4) What are the 3-5 prepared stories that you want to tell? Do you have an elevator version and a detailed one with lots of metrics? Do they equally reflect your and the interviewer’s goals?
5) What are the 3 questions you should always ask at the end of an interview?
We are going to talk about these items and more at the Mock interview event on Monday, September 16. I will also post my interview belief system about these questions and more after the event.